Thursday 13 December 2012

Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Opal (Lux, #3)
Add to Goodreads
No one is like Daemon Black.
When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.


My thoughts 

This book is absolutely and freaking amazing. No one is like Daemon Black. That is so true. And no other series is like the Lux series. I've been waiting for Opal in like forever. Okay, maybe just a few months, but it felt like forever with the ending in Onyx. So, obviously, I was very excited when I received this one in my mailbox yesterday. I did a little happy dance, ogled at the cover a bit and then started reading. I didn't stop until I reached the last page.

Opal start where Onyx ended. Dawson has come home and is slowly starting to readjust to his old life, though he'll never be the same. Just like he'll never forget Beth, and since she is still with the DOD, he's determinded to free her. Meanwhile everyone is still grieving the loss of Adam, and especially Dee is heartbroken. She is so different from the first two books, that I was kind of shocked at times. And I really missed the old Dee. 
Katy is still trying to come to terms with those decisions she made that resulted in the fatal ending of Onyx. I really felt sorry for her. She blamed herself for everything, but while she did made some bad decisions in wasn't all her fault. But Daemon is there for her, and he understood. I think we really get too see his sweet and loveable side in Opal, though his jerkface and attitude is never long gone. But he wouldn't be Daemon without that, would he now?

Katy and Daemon are finally a couple, and I loved seeing them together like that. Actually there was a bit more romance in this book, and did I like that? No, I loved it! Because they are perfect for each other. But they are Katy and Daemon, so of course they still argue. A lot. But that's exactly what I love about them, because they have this incredible chemistry. 
Both Katy and Daemon has changed a lot since Obsidian and I liked that because they have been through a lot and that had to change them. Katy had to face that she had turned from a normal book nerd to a kickass hybrid who had to do things she would never ever had dreamed about before, both good and bad. I liked this inner fight she had, and that she didn't just accept things and were fine about it. And I liked that she was still stubborn Katy who stood her ground and didn't let Daemon push her around.

I had no idea what this book had in store for Katy and Daemon, and I was actually surprised quite a bit of the time. But it gave me everything I'd hoped for and more.

Opal ended on a major cliffhanger, so prepare yourself. It's even worse than Deity (and that was a mean one), but at least Elixir was there to lessen my endless frustration (though I still crave Apollyon). BUT THIS?! Gahhh.. I could kill for Origin right now. Okay, maybe not. Unless it's Blake. Nah, scratch it - I would do that for free! Mwahaha. Anyway, I like how JLA can leave a book on a cliffhanger, but in a way that don't make you go completely nuts. So I do kind of think it's the perfect ending.   

I loved Opal and don't even ask if I would recommend it. Of course I will. But I'll recommend anything by JLA, she's just the best. This book certainly proves that.

☆ ☆ ☆ 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I loved Opal too. That ending really is a killer. Origin needs to come our ASAP.

    ReplyDelete