Tuesday 30 July 2013

The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines, #3)
Add to Goodreads
In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.


My thoughts

This series just get better and better. Seriously, this book was amazing, and I've had a really hard time trying to put my thoughts in words, because.. wow. I read it in one day, because I simply couldn't put it down. I was on the edge of my seat several times, and when I was reading the last pages I was so consumed I think my house could've burned down, and I wouldn't have noticed. 

The plot continues from The Golden Lily where Sydney finds out about Marcus Finch being a former Alchemist who has managed to escaped. Sydney is not sure what to believe anymore, and she further questions the Alchemist teachings. When she finds Marcus she is let to further doubt the Alchemists, and soon finds herself on a daring mission to discover the truth. At the same time her powers as a witch is growing, and she starts to accept her abilities, even though it goes against everything she has been taught. And as if this wasn't enough, Sydney finds herself more drawn to Adrian, even though a relationship between them is absolutely forbidden.

There were many different plots going on simultaneous in this book, but I think Mead managed to wove them together perfectly, so it never seemed like too many different things were happening, and making the story flow effortlessly. Sydney has changed a lot since Bloodlines and is still changing with everything that happens to her and around her. I really liked Sydney in this book. Well, I've liked her all the books, but it was great to see her truly coming in to her own, and seperating herself from the Alchemists and all their prejudices and believes.
We also get to see a lot more of Sydney and Adrian together, which are always my favourite parts. I think it was interesting to watch her struggle with her feelings, and Adrian certainly isn't making it any easier for her, when he declares that he won't ever stop loving her. I actually really liked that he didn't pressure her in any way, but that he just was there for her. Otherwise, he was still very much Adrian, making me swoon just about every time he was mentioned. Which was a lot. 

“He was too perfect, despite being one of the most imperfect people I knew.” 

I was a bit sad that neither Jill, Eddie or Angeline played a very big role in this book, they were sort of pushed in the background. But we did occationally glimpse the awkwardness of the Jill-Eddie-Angeline triangle, and while I felt bad for Jill at times, it was quite funny to see their dynamics.

The Indigo Spell is one of the best books I've read this year, and the series is quickly becoming one of my favorites ever. Now I seriously can't wait to read The Fiery Heart

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ 

No comments:

Post a comment

I'd love to hear what you think, so feel free to leave a comment below :)