Monday 9 September 2013

Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Origin (Lux, #4)
Add to Goodreads
Daemon will do anything to get Katy back.
After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he’s facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in his way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.
All Katy can do is survive.
Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don’t seem entirely crazy, but the group’s goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?
Together, they can face anything. 
But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on? 
And will they even be together?

My thoughts

Origin was one of my most anticipated books this year, and it did not disappoint. The stakes are definitely raised and it was indeed a gamechanger. It was also very different from the previous three. After that crucial ending in Opal I was eager to find out what happened to Katy and what Daemon would have to do to get to her. From the cover and the blurb it sounded like he was literaly going to burn down the world to save her, so I was a bit surprised to how the events unfolded in the first part of the book. 

Katy has been captured by Daedalus and has to go through some horrifying things and some of it kept me on edge. But she also learned more about them, the Luxen and the Arum. If you've read Obsession you know it was already hinted at the Luxen might be far different from what we'd learnt so far. Katy doesn't know what to think and who to trust, but if Daedalus is right it will change everything. 
In the meantime Daemon does everything he can to find Katy, even if it means sacrificing himself. But will he be able to find her and to what price? 

The story was great and I flew through the pages, having to know what happened next. And I truly never knew what was going to happen. It was a bit slow in the beginning, but the middle and ending easily made up for that. There was a lot revealed in this book, and we get a look into Daedalus and their secrets. Some of the things were kinda creepy and the whole possible alien invasion was pretty scary - but that might be because alien invasions scares the sh!t out of me. Also, the whole thing with the origins was both interesting and scary too and frankly very different from what I expected. 
But beside the action and the revelations, there was also sweet and swoony moments in the book, which were my favorites, and JLA sure knows how to write them. JLA always makes me laugh out loud several times during her books, and Origin was no exception. I laughed so hard a couple of times I was glad I was all alone while reading! 

I liked the dual pov in Origin and it was great seeing both Katy and Daemon's side and see how they reacted to the same situations. I love both characters, but I don't think Katy was very prominent in the story, and I kind of missed her at times. Daemon on the other hand stole the spotlight and made this his very own book. He was his usual arrogant, snarky self and with a lot of awesome one-liners, but at the same time we get to see a lot of his sweet and tender side through his pov. I loved getting to know him even better and to understand his motives.

But why oh why did Origin have to end on another cliffhanger?! Just as I thought I was safe this time around she goes and does that! Now the wait for the final book, Opposition, seems even longer. I'll just be waiting around here. 
If you've read the previous books I highly recommend Origin, it will change everything you know about the world JLA has created. A great addition to the series.

☆ ☆ ☆ 

No comments:

Post a comment

I'd love to hear what you think, so feel free to leave a comment below :)